Saturday, June 23, 2012

Albino Bisquit Brownies? Ewwww.....

About 2 weeks ago, I made a fatal mistake or at least it seemed so at the time.  I was deep into the idea of making breakfast for dinner.  Flour was flying all over the kitchen.  I wanted to amaze the family with my scrambled eggs & bacon skills.  I was harboring thoughts of homemade buttermilk bisquits & gravy.  I might have even tried to whip up some chocolate gravy.   Who am I kidding there?  I was just thinking of bisquits because we didn't have any of those can ones in the house.  My inner Martha S. was shining brightly. Who am I kidding now?  Martha is too uptight.  And, really it was Christy Jordan & Ree Drummond.  Yep, I had to mention my BFF-Gonna-Be-Someday-Gals.

So, I was all into getting the butter properly crumbled with the flour.  I added vinegar to milk and made some buttermilk.  I let it all chill out in the refrigerator and it was looking good. Pretty Dang Good.   BUT.........at the last minute I forgot to add just a cup & a half of buttermilk.  I added 2 cups.  DANG, that wasn't so good.   It looked like really messed up pancake batter.  In my efforts to waste not..........I then dumped in a large scoop of flour to the mess  I crossed my fingers, said a prayer and properly dumped it into a brownie pan.  I threw the pan in the oven and hoped for the best.  The family was expecting toast at this point.  Who would honestly expect this to turn out?  The kids were skeptical.  I doubted my skills and started dragging out the toaster.  
After about 20 minutes, we pulled it out and it looked like a pan of "Albino Brownies."  It tasted like a big pan of bisquits,  DANG GOOD BISQUITS,  without all the rolling and cutting.  I am now their biggest fan.  I ate them the next day for breakfast...and the next day too.

Here is the low-down on the stuff I might be calling "Albino Bisquits" or "Dang Good Bisquits." 

2 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1 stick butter, softened
2 cups buttermilk
a heaping 1/2 cup of regular flour

Mix up the flour & butter until it is crumbly.  Put it back into the refrigerator for about 10 minutes to re-chill.

I used the kitchen aide mixer.  Don't judge the lazy, please.

Stir in the buttermilk.  Add the remaining flour.
Pour it into a brownie pan and bake for about  25 minutes at 350*.

That's it people.  You get all the goodness of a homemade buttermilk bisquit and none of the mess.

EVERYONE WINS HERE!!!    Now....run cut yourself a slice and think of me!


Now, what should they be named?

sorry...not a good picture....
ps...if you have never made buttermilk...don't fret too much.  All you do is measure out a tablespoon of cider vinegar or lemon juice.  Dump it in a 1 cup measuring glass and add the remaining in milk.  Let it rest for a few minutes.  It will get all nasty looking.  You won't be wanting a drink of milk either.







No comments:

Post a Comment