Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Aunt Vickie's Sweet Potatoes

I really should begin this blog entry with a rambling about being Thankful.   Every year, I do that.  Every year,  it seems I list the usual stuff.   I am a blessed girl.  I have all the things I need.  God provides it all.   When it seems like all it lost and God is nowhere to be seen....  BAM.  He sends in the most amazing answered prayer.    Yea, that is how he works.   It is the kind of stuff that gives faith a booster shot.   This year our family was given that kind of booster shot.



Despite the bad things that have occurred this year, we have been blessed with jobs.  I was blessed with a new car.  Unfortunately, the grey cave aka... 2004 Honda Odyssey, died at a most inconvenient time.    The kids are all healthy despite their warts, zits and dry skin.   The dog is living on cloud nine.  He gets fed and loved in spite of a very bad haircut.     Greg & I are getting older.   We are finding grey hair and wrinkles.  Pretty soon, he will see 50.   Me,  I choose to be ageless.

Several years ago, Aunt Vickie brought her sweet potatoes to a Thanksgiving dinner.   Even though Aunt Vickie divorced her way out of the family......  We kept her recipe.   I think we should rethink calling them Aunt Vickie's Sweet Potatoes.    Until recently,  I thought these couldn't be messed up.   Was I ever wrong!  The secret is in the topping. Please don't blob it on top.   Gently scatter it across the entire pan just before cooking.    

Aunt Vickie's Sweet Potato Casserole

3 cups mashed sweet potatoes  (2 - 29 oz can - drained)
2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1/2 stick butter
1 tbs vanilla
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg


**topping
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup softened butter
1 cup chopped pecans
cinnamon, to taste

Blend it all together and pour into a sprayed 9x13 pan.
Combine topping and crumble over the entire pan.

Bake @ 450* for 45 minutes.

Enjoy!    I usually prep it all the day before.  I leave the crumbles in a ziplock bag until just before I cook it.    It makes cooking so much simpler on the big day if it all has been prepped the day before.








No comments:

Post a Comment