Saturday, November 19, 2011

A Thanksgiving Classic............

A year or so on facebook...the lovely Julie H. commented on a post of mine about making Thanksgiving dinner.   I mentioned that this stuff was a staple at our house.  I like it just because I can forget about it and worry about something else that needs to be baking.  I found the recipe in a Southern Living magazine and adopted it as mine.  Some might call it plagairism.  I call it MINE.  You decide..............




CROCK POT DRESSING...
Ona’s Slowcooker Cornbread Dressing

4 ½ cups cornbread crumbs (I typically make cornbread the day before.)
1 (16 oz) pkg herb stuffing mix (Pepperidge Farm)
2 (10 3/4) oz cans cream of chicken soup
2 (14 oz) cans low sodium chicken broth
1 medium onion, chopped
½ cup celery, chopped
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon rubbed sage  (sometimes I forget to buy this stuff..)
½ teaspoon salt – (I always use kosher sea salt)
½ teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons butter, cut up

Stir everything together in a LARGE bowl. Pour it into a large lightly greased crockpot & dot it with the butter.
Cook, covered, on low for about 4 hours or until cooked through & set.



so easy...so yummy...and it totally leaves the oven ready for something else!!!!!     Don't forget the slow-cooker liner and you will avoid clean-up too!!!!!   Oh yeah!

It might have been nicer if that picture of my crock pot showed the actual dressing.  I think I was just bored with a camera last year........  I  also think I should have washed the outside a little bit better.


**** 11/27/2014 edit   This year I altered it just a bit and made the stuffing even more amazing.  I cooked a tube of Jimmy Dean sausage and added it to the stuffing along with about a half can of chicken broth.   No words can describe how remarkably amazing the stuffing is with this small change of BIG FLAVOR.

No comments:

Post a Comment