Sunday, June 5, 2016

Cashew Chicken!!!





This book has really been my bible of cooking this year!   I have made many things from it...and enjoyed them all immensely.    Tomato Soup and Cashew Chicken!   Oh my!  I have made them several times and just can't seem to get tired of either.   The cashew chicken reminds me of something I ordered back in college at Madam Wu's.  It is subtle.  It is sublime goodness!  It is even more remarkable the next day!!!

My oldest daughter, CGS loves it when I make them.  She asked me to blog about them so she had somewhere to find the recipes.   Maybe I should buy her this book?  Maybe I should buy myself another one?  Maybe I should just purchase it in digital format so that I can easily take it with me everywhere?  I accidentally packed my book for our big move to EP.    Yikes!!!!!   That was such a bad choice I made.   I should have known better!

http://thriftshoppemom.blogspot.com/2015/03/tomato-soup-has-changed-my-life.html

That is the link for when I made the tomato soup.  It literally changed my life.   I hated tomato soup until that day.  Add a grilled cheese to the side of that soup bowl and we are still living the dream!


Here is the recipe for Cashew Chicken, CGS!   Enjoy it!

  • 1/2 cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce
  • 1 Tablespoon Rice Vinegar
  • 1 Tablespoon Packed Brown Sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons Oyster Sauce  (it is weird...but don't forget!!)
  • 1/2 teaspoon Toasted Sesame Oil
  • 3 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
  • 6 whole Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs, Cut Into Small Cubes
  •  Kosher Salt To Taste
  • 1 Tablespoon Garlic, chopped
  • 1 Tablespoon Chopped Fresh Ginger  
  • 1 whole Green Bell Pepper, Chopped
  • 1/4 cup Chicken Broth
  • 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
  • 1/2 cup Canned Water Chestnuts, Coarsley Chopped & drained
  • 1 cup Unsalted Cashews  (be Sure To Use Unsalted)
  • 2 whole Green Onions, Thinly Sliced
  • cilantro to garnish, optional
  •  Cooked rice,  I prefer Jasmine or Balsami *
In a bowl, mix together the soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, oyster sauce, and sesame oil. Stir & set aside. 

Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over high heat and add the chicken in a single layer. Sprinkle with a small amount of salt, then leave it alone for at least a couple of minutes to give the chicken a chance to brown. When the chicken has turned golden, stir it around so that it can brown on all sides. Toss in the garlic and ginger and stir to combine. Stir in the bell pepper and let it cook for 2 to 3 minutes.

While the pan is still hot, pour in the broth. Stir it around, scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen all the flavorful bits. Turn the heat to medium-low and pour in the sauce mixture, then mix the cornstarch with 1/4 cup water to make a slurry and pour it in. Stir the sauce for 1 to 2 minutes to thicken, then add the water chestnuts and cashews and stir to coat everything with the sauce, adding a splash of water if the sauce is too thick.

Finally, sprinkle on the green onions & cilantro. Serve over the cooked rice.




*Finally,  Stay away from generic plain rice or minute rice!   This dish deserved better than that junk!!!





This picture is bad and just doesn't do it justice.  It is competing with that veggie pasta goodness!   I will tell you about that one later!






No comments:

Post a Comment