Wednesday, February 1, 2012

A Cup of Chai.



I love the taste of a good hot Chai from Starbucks.  It is comforting to my soul.  It just feels good going down.  However, the price...... hurts my wallet if I go too often.  It is truly a treat.  Yes, about 3.45 cents doesn't seem too great a price.  Honestly, I might go 3 times a month...but  the mental math would hurt at a yearly cost.  I can be a cheap-skate.  Is that a personality flaw?  I hope not.

It seems like everyone is on the band wagon for saving money these days.   Someone pinned this recipe for Chai on Pinterest.  I was skeptical.  Who wouldn't be?  I have been given many different forms of Chai over the years.  Chai powdered mixes.  Chai liquid concentrate.   Chai Recipes.  Chai Spices.  All are BLAH! BLAH! Blah!  With the exception of the TAZO concentrate.....That one is good.   This recipe will be made again.  My daughter, M.G. loved it.  I believe all girls need a little more milk in their lives.  This is a surefire way to get some....and without the caffeine if you use the de-caf bags.

Starbucks Chai Copycat Recipe
3 cups water
3 cups milk (I used Skim.)
6-8 tea bags (the small size)
1/2 cup honey  (Would agave be a good substitute here?)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cardamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon ginger

Boil the water & milk.  Stirring occasionally...you don't want the milk to scald.
Add the rest.  Stir. Turn off the heat.  Cover and steep for 5 minutes.
Remove the tea bags and filter through a strainer.

Serve hot or cold.  This was a good money saving substitute....and it was yummy! SCORE!!!!


* 2/5/12   I made this again last night and used agave.  It was just as good.  I ended up steeping it for 10 minutes and it was just as good.  I think I like it a little stronger in tea flavor.

1 comment:

  1. Where are my comments going? I did one on the muffins. Oh well. I will have to give this one a try. Anything to save a bit helps in the big picture!

    ReplyDelete