Thursday, June 14, 2012

Strawberry Pie...oh my.....



Did I mention STRAWBERRY PIE?  Fresh STRAWBERRY PIE!!

My husband wanted this for his birthday dinner  this year.  Usually, he asks for carrot cake.  It is always a good choice.  This year, the big guy changed his mind!!!   Can I get an AMEN now?? 

This pie is one step above amazing.  This is the stuff dreams are made of.  Are you drooling yet??  Trust me here!!!   I am drooling!   I am also kinda sad because there wasn't any left this morning after the kids finished it off.   Grrr.....



First you have to make this crust...don't worry!  It is super easy and totally looks like it was difficult.  It will impress all around you!!!  


Super Easy Pie Crust
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt..   (I have been using kosher salt.)
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
2 Tablespoons milk
1/2 cup cooking oil

Combine the dry stuff in the pie pan.  Slowly add in the milk & oil.  It looks really disgusting before it is all mixed together.  Just don't look at it too closely.  Mix it together with a fork and mash it all together to fit the pan.  Bake at 350* until browned...which should be between 10 and 15 minutes.  Let this cool before you add the pie stuff.



Strawberry Pie
1 cup sugar
3 heaping Tablespoons of cornstarch
3 Tablespoons of strawberry jello mix
1 cup water
1 pint of strawberries,  hulled and halved

In a medium saucepan, combine everything except the berries.
Stir well and cook over medium heat until the get stuff is thick and clear.  Stir this constantly to prevent scorching.  Set it aside until cooled down.
Arrange the berries in the pre-cooked pie crust.  
Pour the strawberry gel stuff over the berries and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Top with whipped cream if you like.   I will pass on that.  I'm a purist.

PLEASE INVITE ME OVER FOR DESSERT NOW!




I can't claim fame to these recipes.  They came from my new favorite book.  
The Southern Plate by Christy Jordan.




This is the link to her website.  She is the girl who gave me the recipe for her peanut butter frosting.  Yes, I like to think that we are BFF's.  Someday, Christy, Ree & I will get together and drink ice tea on the deck at the ranch.  After that, we will contemplate the meaning of life & donuts.

http://www.southernplate.com/




No comments:

Post a Comment