Monday, September 3, 2012

Bran Muffins







These guys are amazing.  These guys make the morning pretty easy too.  How much better can that be?  I have been making these off & on for most of married life.  The kids like to snack on them.  The kids like to put one in a lunchbox.  Realistically, I can't say how healthy they are.  But what I can say is that there is a ton of healthy stuff in them.  Well, that and the recipe makes a ton and I can keep it in the refrigerator for several days.  The recipe I was given said that they would keep in the refrigerator for 6 weeks.  I'm not buying that.  But, I have never had the mix for over 2 weeks either.  I make them about every other day when I have the muffin batter prepared.


2 cups boiling water
2 cups 100% all bran  (The brand is called  "Millers Bran" & is in the baking section.)
1 cup shortening
3 cups granulated sugar
4 beaten eggs
1 quart of buttermilk
2 1/2 cups flour
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
5 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
4 cups of bran flakes (the cereal flakes)
2 cups raisons

Pour the boiling water over the 100% bran & let it cool. 
Cream the sugar & shortening & add the eggs.
Sift together the flours, baking soda & salt.  
Add it to the other stuff.
Stir in the bran flakes & raisons.

Store it covered in the refrigerator for up to 6 weeks.
Spoon into lined muffin tins and bake @ 350* for about 25 minutes.

Serve warm and maybe add a little butter if desired.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment